Saturday, July 11, 2015

Crafty Me, Crafty Pattern: Convertible Wave Cowl (Free!)

Ahoy there! I've been crocheting a lot lately, after a long hiatus that arose from crocheting a lot. You'd think I'd learn. I decided to share a simple pattern I worked up a few years back that I still really like the effect of. I've sold many of these cowls over the years but these days I'm more focussed on pattern design than selling finished items. I have so many ideas but so little time so my pattern output isn't exactly what I'd like it to be (patterns released so far this year: 0. Pattern concepts I have swimming around in my head: 6520).


Moving on. Pattern below:


Skill level: 
Beginner

Stitches used:       
Double crochet -dc
Single crochet -sc
Chain stitch –ch

Materials:               
9 mm hook
5 buttons of 20mm width or more.
Chunky/bulky weight yarn (you can also use 2 strands of DK or 8 ply yarn, which I have done in this pattern as it is hard to find vegan chunky weight yarn)

Gauge:                   
3-4 pattern repetitions per 10 cm/4 inches. Gauge is not essential for this 
pattern,more repetitions means a slightly smaller scarf and less means a larger one. 
You can change your hook size to suit if you have a preference either way.


Pattern Instructions:

Chain 20 Stitches

Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch to end. Ch 1 and turn

Row 2: sc in 2nd sc from hook, *chain 2, skip 2 sc and sc in next 2 sc. Repeat from * to end. Ch 2  and turn
Row 3:  dc in 2nd sc from hook, *chain 2, skip 2 sc and dc in next 2 sc. Repeat from * to end. Ch 1 and turn.

Row 4: Repeat row 2.

Row 5: Repeat row 3.

Here’s how things should look at the end of a sc row once you’ve got going:


Continue repeating rows 2 and 3 until your scarf measures aprox 85 cm, finishing with a sc/ch st row. You can opt to making it longer if you want to be able to wind it around lots of times but you will need more yarn for this.

Next row: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each sc and ch to end. Fasten off.

Finishing:

Stitch buttons onto the ch st gaps along one end of scarf as shown.


Weave in all your ends and threads and if you're so inclined, block. I don't bother with mine, but you do you. 


You can now use every ch  st gap on your scarf as a button hole and so it can be buttoned on angles, along straight lines or just using a few buttons at a time. The possibilities are endless! (Not actually endless, there is a finite number of rows and button holes, but you get me).


If you make this, I'd love to see. Share with me at the Shiny Happy Crafty facebook page and make my heart explode with all the happy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment